Friday 17 May 2013

Lines and Squares

Whenever I walk in a London street,
I’m ever so careful to watch my feet;
And I keep in the squares,
And the masses of bears,
Who wait at the corners all ready to eat
The sillies who tread on the lines of the street
Go back to their lairs,
And I say to them, “Bears,
Just look how I’m walking in all the squares!”

And the little bears growl to each other, “He’s mine,
As soon as he’s silly and steps on a line.”
And some of the bigger bears try to pretend
That they came round the corner to look for a friend;
And they try to pretend that nobody cares
Whether you walk on the lines or squares.
But only the sillies believe their talk;
It’s ever so portant how you walk.
And it’s ever so jolly to call out, “Bears,
Just watch me walking in all the squares!”
            A.A. Milne 


This has always been one of my favourite A.A. Milne poems. Probably because it appeals to my OCD side. There is order, structure, logic in lines and in squares. The title can also describe how I think and write and a blog is all about thinking and writing and trying to write what you think. Obviously I write in lines but I also tend to think in lines. I also often think in shapes. Different things, people, events, ideas etc will take the form of different shapes in my mind. I don't know if I described that very well but if your mind works the same way you'll understand and if your mind works a different way you might never get it no matter how well I explain it.

Anyway, this was just a bit of background behind my choice of blog name.

No comments:

Post a Comment